Date:Friday May 25 2007
CARLISLE United have had a fresh bid for Nottingham Forest`s city-born forward Grant Holt turned down.
The Blues have rekindled their interest in the big targetman whose 18 goals last season fired Forest into the League One play-offs.
United had an undisclosed bid turned down earlier this week as it fell way below the £300,000 Forest are hoping to recoup for the 26-year-old player they signed from Rochdale last year.
It is the second time the Blues have had an offer turned down for Holt, who hails from the Harraby area of Carlisle, and who now appears to be back on the radar for United boss Neil McDonald, who continues to be linked with the job of number two to new Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce
Newcastle`s Cumbrian kid Paul Huntington has also emerged as a summer target for a possible loan deal next season.
United had an undisclosed bid turned down for Holt last season after the failed to match an earlier £300,000 offer from Bristol City.
Forest accepted City`s offer in November only for the player to reject the move as he wanted to stay and fight for his place.
Holt still has two years to run on his contract and insists he would be happy to remain at Forest if he receives assurances that he remains a part of Calderwood`s plans.
He said: "I will be speaking to the club to see if they still want me. I`d stay here as long as I can. If they offered me a new contract I`d take it, but I can`t see that happening."
After rejecting a move to Bristol City, Holt ended up forcing his way back into the Forest side and was voted Player of the Year by fans, and believes he has proven he has what it takes to stay at the City Ground.
He said: "I`m pleased with what I`ve achieved here. The fans appreciate that, but if I feel I`m not wanted by the manager and the club, we will see what happens. I cannot do any more than I`ve done to stay here."
United need to bolster their forward ranks as it now seems inevitable top scorer Karl Hawley will be heading out of Brunton Park after turning down a new contract, and they also released Derek Holmes at the end of last season.
McDonald said: "It is pure speculation about Holt. I`m still in contract discussions with certain people and trying to get players to come to Carlisle.
"We will take our time and make sure we get the right people in. I`m not just going to sign anybody as I want to make the team stronger and get them to fit into the system we play."
The Supporters Summit - Nottingham Forest (Friday July 3 2015)
Backroom Changes For Dougie (Friday July 3 2015)
Jamie Ward Is A Red!! (Thursday July 2 2015)
Forest Confirm Four Departures! (Thursday July 2 2015)
Forest Confirm Mills Arrival (Wednesday July 1 2015)
Veldwijk Departs As Bennett Arrives (Tuesday June 30 2015)
Two Forest Games On Sky Sports (Tuesday June 30 2015)
Maynard In On Trial (Monday June 29 2015)
Burnley Make Bid For Forest Player! (Thursday June 25 2015)
Wednesday Transfer Update (Wednesday June 24 2015)
|5.||Old Red Fart||24|
|8.||Pope John XXIII||17|
|10. Derby County||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|14. Hull City||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|RUFC - Tom Here To Play And Learn
» Rotherham : 03/07/2015 22:23:00
|MK Dons Linked With Radoslaw Majewski
» MK Dons : 03/07/2015 20:06:01
|RUFC - Millers Make Another Signing
» Rotherham : 03/07/2015 19:44:01
|LUFC Leeds could face another transfer embargo
» Leeds Utd : 03/07/2015 19:00:00
|RUFC - Collins 'It's Tough In The Championship'
» Rotherham : 03/07/2015 18:40:01