Nottingham Forest Forum - Ben Watson (Watford)
Vital Football

Latest Nottingham Forest News

Welcome to the Nottingham Forest Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: "They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job"
- (Added by: The Major Oak)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Has Karanka flattered to deceive at the City Ground?
Suggested By: The Forest
Yes20%
No35%
Unsure45%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Ingy211
2.Apollyon191
3.Pope John XXIII188
4.Strawberry Avenger182
5.orbitalforest173
6.Old Red Fart154
7.the jock112
8.mao tse tung112
9.Calvin Plummer111
10.AdebolaCornflakes111
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (12): « First ... 8 9 10
12 Last »
Ben Watson (Watford)
06 February 2018 08:30 Post ID: #999683 - in reply to #998402
very happy with Watson. highly rated at his previous club.

this the end of McKay and bouchalakis? seems so

if only we had a good goalscorer upfront and 2 decent fullbacks. loads of time for Brereton but 2 goals in 21 championship matches is not good enough right now.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
06 February 2018 09:07 Post ID: #999686 - in reply to #999683
Fans Favourite
the jock - 6/2/2018 08:30

if only we had a good goalscorer upfront and 2 decent fullbacks. loads of time for Brereton but 2 goals in 21 championship matches is not good enough right now.

Bouchalakis is just not good enough but I would think McKay should have a future if he gets his head down.

Everyone assumes that the new guys are going to be playing every game; Geddy and Watson are both 32, their game time will need to be managed.

Colback and Bridcutt are both prone to picking up bookings, that's a bye product of their combative style of play.

What we now have is genuine competition for places which is something that has been sadly missing.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 09:21 Post ID: #999687 - in reply to #999683
Fans Favourite

I agree with you in regard of both Boucha and McKay, with all the new additions in midfield I doubt that they will be even making the bench, mind starting. The earliest they gel the better as I think that we will see the best of both Velios and Brereton as more chances will be created and other players will pose a treat to the opposition.
To add to the above, I think that even Dowell will struggle to hold a regular spot in the first 11 and if he doesnt perform he will be replaced as there are alternatives..not like before when looking at the bench there were weaker players that rarely upgraded what was already on the pitch...
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 09:24 Post ID: #999688 - in reply to #998402
Monthly Contract

The most amazing thing to me when AK set about off loading all the players he did,
there was not one player who was in the starting 11 that capitulated in the match
against Preston.

The worst match many of us has witnessed for many a year with AK stating it was
the worst performance he'd seen during his managerial carrier.

Three of the Subs were outed along with other fringe players but we kept all of
those from that starting eleven that surprises me but come the summer it will
be interesting to see how many of those remain.

Edited by redderthanred 6/2/2018 09:26
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 09:38 Post ID: #999689 - in reply to #999688
Nottingham Forest Legend
redderthanred - 6/2/2018 09:24

The most amazing thing to me when AK set about off loading all the players he did,
there was not one player who was in the starting 11 that capitulated in the match
against Preston.

The worst match many of us has witnessed for many a year with AK stating it was
the worst performance he'd seen during his managerial carrier.

Three of the Subs were outed along with other fringe players but we kept all of
those from that starting eleven that surprises me but come the summer it will
be interesting to see how many of those remain.

Obviously you need clubs for these players to go to.

The players who left all had takers- in some cases previous managers they had worked with before or who had an interest in them before.

Getting rid of a deadwood is about sensible finances and squad management, not punishing individuals for a bad game
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 10:27 Post ID: #999690 - in reply to #999686
mao tse tung - 6/2/2018 09:07

Bouchalakis is just not good enough .

when I moaned about signing a sub from olympiacos I was told I was being negative and let him play first before deciding.

finally we have decent midfielders. we have been lacking for so long.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 12:12 Post ID: #999693 - in reply to #999690
Nottingham Forest Legend
the jock - 6/2/2018 10:27

mao tse tung - 6/2/2018 09:07

Bouchalakis is just not good enough .

when I moaned about signing a sub from olympiacos I was told I was being negative and let him play first before deciding.

finally we have decent midfielders. we have been lacking for so long.

yea ur the bollocks jock, who needs jesus with your prophetic powers. I for one am amazed you have not been headhunted.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 12:34 Post ID: #999694 - in reply to #998402
It's glaringly obvious
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 12:38 Post ID: #999695 - in reply to #998402
Established Player
Dowell will be going back to Everton and Vaughan will be put out to pasture. That's two out of the starting five that will be gone. Barry Mc is possibly not AK's cup of tea unless he works harder off the ball, becomes harder to shove off the ball and starts taking players on with confidence as he has done in spells. Can imagine him being loaned back to Scotland.

Can see Cash and Oz staying. The midfield is starting to look a bit congested and fear the likes of Edser, who is playing very consistently in U23's, will not get a look in. He could easily go out on loan for a couple of months to non league club as could AA.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 13:14 Post ID: #999698 - in reply to #998402
Fans Favourite
On reflection I don't think its been that great a window.
Defence has been the achilles heel all season and AK has not improved it this window.
Can't see much change in fortunes.
A lot of grunt in the midfield but stupid errors will cost us points.
e.g. punching a ball you can get your body behind and gifting the ball and loads of space to an attacker.
No goalscorers either so we won't be trying to outscore teams - need a BA09 and MA for that.

Edited by McDurbanForest 6/2/2018 13:15
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 13:32 Post ID: #999699 - in reply to #998402
Fans Favourite
Was in for a couple of centre halves - likely to have been rejected on the striker front also.
When players become available then it is time to strike - wait for the Summer to complete what is a major squad transformation.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 13:34 Post ID: #999700 - in reply to #998402
Brereton has 2 goals in 21 league games. its not good enough unfortunately.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 13:36 Post ID: #999701 - in reply to #999670
Nottingham Forest Legend
ozzyten10 - 5/2/2018 22:01

Smiths inexperience really came to the fore recently. His kicking and general distribution is very poor and this has impacted greatly on his game. He isn’t vocal enough, and although his handling is generally sound, he has needed a rest for a while now. Good number 2 now though with the experience he has gained.

Pants got beat at his near post and nutmegged for the two goals on Saturday.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 13:51 Post ID: #999702 - in reply to #999701
Fans Favourite
LyttleByLyttle - 6/2/2018 13:36

ozzyten10 - 5/2/2018 22:01

Smiths inexperience really came to the fore recently. His kicking and general distribution is very poor and this has impacted greatly on his game. He isn’t vocal enough, and although his handling is generally sound, he has needed a rest for a while now. Good number 2 now though with the experience he has gained.

Pants got beat at his near post and nutmegged for the two goals on Saturday.

That is correct, but I do not think Smith has been replaced due to the mistakes he made, it was more to do with his reluctance to organise his defence.

He is probably too young to have developed an authoritarian streak and it certainly did not help having his confidence shot to pieces in public by MW.

Looking at the highlights Pantilimon certainly appeared to be vocal and animated at times and did not appear to lack confidence; we just need some new blood in defence now.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 14:11 Post ID: #999703 - in reply to #998402
Established Player
Problem is the only way BB will learn his trade is to play him. Only three/four seasons ago I remember Vardy and Kane sitting on the bench for Leicester and only getting on as late subs. Pearson was saying they needed premiership experience before they could get starts. Season later Vardy starts banging them in for Foxes and Kane for Spurs. Strikers explode on to the scene. BB will suddenly start scoring goals but he never will if he isn't played.

If you look at top scorers they tend to be in teams where a couple of strikers are scoring in tandem. Clarke and Sharpe at Shef, Bot and Jota at Wolves. The only top team with single big scoring striker is Vydra at Derby. If we expect BB to be scoring double figures in 20 starts he needs to be one of two strikers not up by himself. Also half of BB's starts have been out on the wing, where he didn't look a natural.

As this is a re-build season with target of mid table, I am happy with how BB is developing. If we are to push next season we will need the option of playing sometimes with two strikers. Thus our enquiry about Rhodes. Not sure he is the answer but the intent is correct.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 14:27 Post ID: #999704 - in reply to #999695
Polly 433 - 6/2/2018 12:38

Dowell will be going back to Everton and Vaughan will be put out to pasture. That's two out of the starting five that will be gone. Barry Mc is possibly not AK's cup of tea unless he works harder off the ball, becomes harder to shove off the ball and starts taking players on with confidence as he has done in spells. Can imagine him being loaned back to Scotland.

Can see Cash and Oz staying. The midfield is starting to look a bit congested and fear the likes of Edser, who is playing very consistently in U23's, will not get a look in. He could easily go out on loan for a couple of months to non league club as could AA.

McKay couldn't tackle a fish supper and any defender that saw him disappear after 1 tackle against PNE will do the same, when they face him.

Our biggest problem for a while has been the lack of bite, strength, experience and leadership in midfielder - we have now corrected that, with 2 permanent & 1 x loan signing - adding to Bridcutt, Vaughan, Benny and Bouch - plus then factor in the attacking options - so, now much more competition for places.

I was shocked not to see Bridcutt play against Fulham, so perhaps he's injured?

I'd be shocked not to see Bouch leave this summer, Vaughan will leave and Dowell will go back to Everton and I can't help but think that Benny may be deployed at LM/LB.

Much as I like David Vaughan - he is not a leader and in my opinion, whilst he was one of the better players against PNE - that game will have shown him, that his time is up at Championship level - certainly for a full game.

We still have work to do this summer, shifting players on and whilst it may mean the youngsters like Yates & co go on loan again next season - that will dovetail nicely with Watson & Geddy coming to the end of their contracts.

I have no problem with playing the youngsters - but we have been old manned & out muscled far too many times this season - 17 defeats already is woeful.
Like post
Like this post
06 February 2018 14:34 Post ID: #999705 - in reply to #998402
Experienced Pro
Things might improve a tad, once a new captain is appointed....one with bollox the size of Jaffers...a good bollocking face to face always helps....I've had plenty,and learned very quick
Like post
Like this post
Pages (12): « First ... 8 9 10
12 Last »
Jump to forum:
Nottingham Forest Fixtures  >>